- 4 pound pork roast - boneless and at room temperature
- 2 pounds sauerkraut
- 1 Tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Pat the pork dry and sprinkle the entire roast with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Heat a large, non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add in the olive oil.
- When the olive oil starts to simmer, sear all sides until golden brown (approx. 5-8 minutes per side).
- Pour sauerkraut to cover the bottom of a 6 qt Dutch Oven dish (with lid).
- Sprinkle over the caraway seeds, onions, and brown sugar and add the roast to the dish.
- Cover tightly with the lid and bake for about 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 145F.
- Remove from the oven.
- Carefully remove the roast from the dish and place on a cutting board covering loosely with foil.
- Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before slicing.
Note: If using a slow cooker is more your style, simply follow the directions and add your kraut and seared pork to a 6 quart crock pot. Cover and cook on low for about 8-9 hours. Easy peezy!