Individuals being considered for employment (internal transfer or external hire) or internships (paid or unpaid) must:
- Complete a web-based check (First Advantage). A link to this web-based check will be provided to new employees via an e-mail.
- Have a fingerprint check completed while visiting the OSU campus through the OSU Office of Human Resource or done locally (their home county or state) and have results sent to Gina Thorpe, OSU Office of Human Resources, 1590 N. High St., Ste. 300, Columbus, Ohio 43201. . A list of sites can be found HERE.
- OSU Extension Background Check and Self-Disclosure of Criminal Convictions Policy
- OSU Background Check Policy 4.15
1. Web Based Check (First Advantage)
- A link to this web-based check will be provided to new employees via an e-mail.
- Complete the online information form.
- The College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences' administration is responsible for the cost of this specific check.
2. Fingerprinting (Select method A or B)
A. Local Fingerprinting
Individuals in Ohio may have their fingerprinting done at any one of the many agencies around the state. It is suggested that potential employees follow these steps as a guide:
- For more information on Ohio State University Extension Background Check Procedures, go to: http://extensionstaff.osu.edu/policy-and-procedures-handbook/iii-faculty-and-staff/background-check
- For a list of agencies/organizations within Ohio, go to: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Business/Services-for-Business/WebCheck/Webcheck-Community-Listing
- Outside of Ohio, contact your State Attorney General, State Police, or State Highway Patrol for information.
Please have the agency send results to:
OSU Office of Human Resources
1590 N. High Street, Ste. 300
Columbus, OH 43201
- The results MUST BE ON FILE at the above address PRIOR TO THE START DATE. If the potential employee has results sent directly to their home, they are responsible for providing a copy to the OSU Office of Human Resources prior to their start date.
- Each OSU Extension unit is responsible for all expenses associated with having the fingerprint check completed. The unit hiring may directly pay fingerprinting agency or reimburse the individual after he/she submits a receipt.
B. Campus-Based Fingerprint
Individuals who are on or near the Columbus campus may have the fingerprinting process completed at the OSU Office of Human Resources at 1590 N. High St., Ste. 300, Columbus, OH 43201. Hours of operation are Tuesday-Friday 9:00 -11:00 am, and 1:00 – 4:00 pm. You may want to call 614-292-3595 prior to going. For more information: https://hr.osu.edu/services/background-checks-fingerprinting/
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS FOR CAMPUS WEB-CHECK:
- Complete the WebCheck/Fingerprint Consent Form and bring with you when you go for your fingerprinting.
- Take the completed form (with your driver's license) to the OSU Office of Human Resources at 1590 N. High St., Ste. 300, Columbus, OH 43201.
Each OSU Extension unit is responsible for all expenses associated with having the fingerprint check completed. The unit hiring may directly pay the OSU Office of Human Resources or reimburse the individual after he/she submits a receipt.
- $37.70 for all in-state Ohio residents (resident for at least 5 years)
- $39.70 for an FBI check (for those who are out of state or have been in Ohio for less than 5 years, and who will be working with children)
- $61.70 for both (for license and out of state residents) – only if workplace requires both.
- The report that will be generated will be sent directly to the OSU Office of Human Resources.
Updated December 30, 2013.