Background Checks and Fingerprinting
In addition to the background check requirements outlined in the Background Check Policy 4.15, Ohio State uses the National WebCheck® program to meet the legislative requirements of academic programs, service programs, and licensure.
- Hire Data Worksheet
- Completed Background Check – Final Approver adds request for Ad Hoc approval by Office of Human Resources (OHR).
- I-9 (new or re-verify)
Staff Letter of Offer or Award
Associated Faculty: Draft offer letter approved by Sr. Associate Dean
Courtesy and Adjunct: Letter of request
Faculty Letter of Offer or Award: Faculty Position Authorization from Dean’s Office and Office of Academic Affairs (OAA), if required.
- Assistant Professor - Example 9 over 12.5 REVISED FORMAT for DocuSign
- Assistant Professor - Example 12 month REVISED FORMAT for DocuSign
- Assoc Prof and Professor - with tenure Example REVISED FORMAT for DocuSign
- Assistant Professor Clinical Track-Professional Practice Example REVISED format for DocuSign
- Assistant Professor Research Track Example REVISED format for DocuSign
Graduate Associate: Graduate Associate Appointment Document and the Graduate Appointment and Fee Auth Form for multiple hires.
Hire Outside Posted Target Salary (> 15%): OSU Salary Adjustment and Reclassification – Request for Approval Form
Lecturer Letter of Offer or Award: see workflow and documents required (rev. 9/14)
- Lecturer Sample Letter of Offer (8 - Month)
- Lecturer Sample Letter of Offer (9 - Month)
- Lecturer Sample Letter of Offer (12 - Month)
- Lecturer Sample Letter of Offer (Single Semester)
- Lecturer Sample Letter of Offer (Renewal - Single Semester)
Minor: Parent/Guardian Consent Form
Rehired Retiree: Approved Rehire Request packet
Research Scientist: Approval documentation from Associate Dean and Director, OARDC, and Office of Research; offer letter; curriculum vitae
Visiting Scholar: see workflow and documents required (rev. 2/15)
Required Ad-Hoc Approvals
- College Ad Hoc Approvals Needed Quick Guide for Faculty (rev. 5/15)
- College Ad Hoc Approvals Needed Quick Guide for Staff (rev. 11/14)
- College Ad Hoc Approvals Needed Quick Guide for Students (rev. 11/14)
- E-Verify – New employees or as designated in E-Verify.
- IT Access, email, keys or badge access
- Information regarding where to report on their first day
- Initial and annual written notification of Disaster Preparedness
- Completing and maintaining original new hire documentation according to OHR Policy 1.20 Personnel Records
- Send notification of completion to Initiator and Final Approver.
- Add or modify personal information
- Enter job data
- Federal Work-Study / Student Employment Office
- Hire HRA Screenshots (rev. 2/15)
- I-9 Handbook for Employers
- OSU E-Verify website
- Policy 3.10 OSU Salary Administration and Classification
- Policy 4.15 Background Check
- Policy 4.25 Reemployment of Faculty and Staff
- Policy 10.10 Student Employment
- Payroll Processing Policy Faculty Appointments
- Payroll Processing Requirements Non-Faculty Appointments
- Service Date Calculator